A letter a day to number 10. No 980
Tuesday 20 January 2015.
Dear Mr Cameron,
Oxfam reports that by next year 1% of the world’s population will own more wealth than the other 99%, that is 1% owning more than half of global wealth which in 2013 was given as $241 trillion, that’s $51,600 per adult in the world.
In Britain, which you say is for hard working people who want to get on as you commit to full employment, you fail to mention that more and more people are living and working in ever more insecure circumstances. you have removed safety nets at work and cut safety nets in welfare with yet more cuts on the way as the wealth divide increases.
In Britain you have created, austerity, insecurity, poverty, workfare and sanctions for the poor and ever increasing wealth for the rich. Worse still, you treat us as less than human, forcing people to take any junk job, zero hours contract, dead end, nil satisfaction, grafting for peanuts, drudgery, under threat of sanctions. Iain Duncan Smith even had the appalling temerity to invoke the dreadful sign over the gates of Auschwitz, ‘Arbeit macht frei’, saying that “disabled people would be made free by working”. Sack the vile man!
I must say the British public has been very generous in allowing this state of affairs to continue as long as this. I have no idea why there isn’t a much greater national outcry and action against you, the banks, debt agencies, interest charges, pointless and useless jobs, the welfare penal system and the outrageous demands on the poorest to pay off Britains debts which they had nothing to do with creating.
Apparently the boss of one of the world’s biggest banks last year described the UK as the world’s “biggest, most developed tax haven” with London being the millionaire capital of the world. There is no trickle down effect and you are making damned sure it stays that way, the money is siphoning upwards at an unbelievable rate thanks to Osbornomics and it’s time Britain engaged with civil disobedience as a national past time because that’s the only way we are going to see any social justice in this country. As we generally seem to be unsure about civil disobedience in Britain, it should be taught in schools and colleges as a creative art.